Monday 22 April 2013

Ten years in the making...

When we say that God has His own timing or that He doesn't forget the desires of our heart... well I'm testimony to that today.
 
Ten years ago, on my first trip into Rwanda, God put the women of Rwanda on my heart.
There were all these women walking around with baskets on their heads - just trying to sell enough to feed their family for the day. Not to think about paying rent or school fees, or clothes... I was moved.
The dream of a coffee shop was born (there was none in town at the time!), where I could employ women, train them to be successful entrepreneurs and send them back out into the world to better equipped to stand, to support their families and with their life transformed.
 
Well... I've carried that dream for ten years.
 
Today, it started to become reality.
I have 8 days to learn a business.
May 1st is when we officially own J.Lynn's - the business part, and start Komeza Women, (meaning strengthening or to move forward) the ministry part. 
It's twofold.. make money for ministry and train entrepreneurial women.
 
There are 14 women who are already part of the existing program.
They make bagels, pizza, tortilla chips, salsa, hummus .. and donuts to sell.
We'll be adding cake, cupcakes and cookies as well.
 
Who knows where this journey is going to go but I can tell you this... I have a VERY good feeling about it. So many pieces have come together over the years to make this possible and it basically landed in our laps about a month ago.
 
On that morning when we got the email asking if we were interested in having the ministry, I was reading from 'Jesus Calling' by Sarah Young. She was reminding me in her writing that God is the giver of gifts... was just the confirmation that Serge and I both needed - was like the cherry on top of all the other stuff leading to this point.
 
I look forward to sharing this journey with you.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jen, this is so cool. We are just so thrilled with you.

Rebecca Smith said...

Wow this is exciting. Where will the coffee shop be? God be with you as you start this new stage of ministry.

Harry Whyte said...

This is very exciting news and I will look forward to dropping by the cafe!