Thursday 8 March 2012

International Women's Day

Empower woman and girls to sustain families!

That is the text I received this morning on my phone from the Rwandan Ministry of  Family and Gender.

That is my heart.
A huge part of what we do here evolves around empowering women.
They are the backbone of the family, a community and this country.

I received this message when I was at Ubuzima - the association we work with for those with HIV/AIDS. There were 7 women there this morning working on making paper beads or sewing. Skills that produce products which help bring income so they can pay for their rent, feed their families and send their children to school. I was there working on some new designs.

Alain, who works with us, was also working with women today. Five of them are in the beginning stages of putting together business plans so they can start their own businesses and Alain is journeying with them through this process.  We look forward to their lives becoming more sustainable.

Marte with her new product - an 18" pillow cover

No comments: