Saturday 8 October 2011

Annual Kamari Thanksgiving

So three years ago or maybe its four years ago, I was needing Thanksgiving!

I have always loved Thanksgiving and have fond memories of cottage weekends with friends and always great food. And of course the turning of the leaves and the wearing jeans and your favorite sweatshirt to go for a hike.


Then, when one lives in 'summer' 365 days of the year, after having four seasons and Thanksgiving to 'mark' the year, one NEEDS to have some of this back in their life somehow. So, I decided .. .then I talked Serge into it... that we needed to do Thanksgiving. He is never opposed to me cooking - but would he be the only Rwandese? Maybe he would be ... although I think this is the first year he actually will be as I'm not the only Canadian here married to a Rwandese.

Each year we sort of have the same core group and then the add-ons. The add-ons are those we know or others know who could benefit from a homecooked Thanksgiving complete with turkey. Turkey is no small feat by the way... I can pay $15 USD / kilo at a grocery store or Serge can drive about 30 minutes out of town to a village that has some and hope that they're big enough. We drive out of town and hope for the best.

So.. tomorrow is Thanksgiving here. I should be making stuff and cleaning for sure but here I am writing on my blog. Just needing to connect with 'my Thanksgiving' before I try my best to recreate it for others.

It's been an incredible thing really.

I'll never forget some comments over the years...

From a mom who had only been in the country for 6 weeks, said to me through tears and a hug, ' I didn't know how I was going to provide Thanksgiving for my family. Thank you.'

I remember a dear friend from Canada who sent money specifically so that I could buy cream cheese to make pumpkin cheesecake last year ... I never knew that MEN could get so excited over cheesecake!! Sad part, I didn't even get a piece. Oh well.

Just yesterday I talked to a Canadian lady whom I have yet to meet. They've been here two  years. She was more than excited for them to be invited. Her response... 'Are you seriously going to have turkey??' My response.. 'Yes, and everything that goes with it!'

This morning I got a call from my friend Jocelyn wondering if she could invite one more to the group... she just met a gal from ON who is in desperate need of some 'home'. Sure, at this point, one more won't matter.

Well, I must get to the task of it all. Have about 36 people showing up with kids and praying that it won't rain!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

No comments: