Wednesday 26 June 2019

Using our dmFPC!

So I'm reading John Ortberg's book, 'Soul Keeping - Caring for the Most Important Part of You'... 

There is all kinds of good stuff in it (pick it up and read it if you haven't already!) but something this morning that just affirmed ... gave me a little more understanding. 

He was talking about how we are made / wired to bless others and what research has found out about our brains. One part of our brain sees and has some empathy when we see someone suffering but it does not predict selflessness / response.
IF another part of our brain is active (the dmFPC...whatever...) THEN ... 

pg. 159. 
'It turns out that we are most likely to actually help someone, not simply when we seem them suffering, but when we also consider ourselves 'attached' to them. 
Seeing suffering does not move me to act if I think of the person as 'him'. 
But when I think of that person as part of 'us', part of 'me', then I am moved to bless. Jesus may have been speaking quite literally when he said, 'Love your neighbour as yourself.' 

With all the hurt and many solvable issues going on in the world.. and people ... people who say they are followers of Jesus don't respond ... it's because they are not 'attached', not considering 'us'.... not using ALL their brain!

I know I somehow have a front row seat to this all living in a developing country BUT ... we're all made in the image of God ... and we all have brains. 
Let's get the right parts of our brain working! 
Work on connecting ... seeing people as Jesus would want us to see them... using our dmFPC!

No comments: